A core goal of ASLO is to foster a scientific community that is safe, hospitable, and productive for all of its members. Thus, ASLO seeks to provide a welcoming and productive environment for those attending our meetings, workshops, and events, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, ethnicity, religion, disability, physical appearance, or career level. All participants, including, but not limited to, attendees, speakers, volunteers, exhibitors, ASLO staff, service providers, and others are expected to abide by this ASLO Events Code of Conduct. This Code of Conduct applies to all components of an ASLO event, including those sponsored by organizations other than ASLO but held in conjunction with ASLO events, in public or private facilities.
- All participants, attendees, ASLO staff, and vendors are treated with respect and consideration, valuing a diversity of views and opinions.
- Be considerate, respectful, and collaborative.
- Communicate openly with respect for others, critiquing ideas rather than individuals.
- Avoid personal attacks directed toward other attendees, participants, ASLO staff, and suppliers/vendors.
- Be mindful of your surroundings and of your fellow participants. Alert staff if you notice a dangerous situation or someone in distress.
- Respect the rules and policies of the meeting venue, hotels, ASLO-contracted facility, or any other venue.
- Harassment, sexual harassment, bullying, or discrimination in any form will not be tolerated.
- Physical or verbal abuse of any attendee, speaker, volunteer, exhibitor, ASLO staff member, service provider, or other event guest.
- Examples of unacceptable behavior include, but are not limited to, verbal comments related to gender, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, religion, national origin, inappropriate use of nudity and/or sexual images in public spaces or in presentations, or threatening or stalking any attendee, speaker, volunteer, exhibitor, ASLO staff member, service provider, or other event guest.
- Disruption of talks at oral or poster sessions, in the exhibit hall, or at other events organized by ASLO at the event venue, hotels, or other ASLO-contracted facilities.
- Anyone requested to stop unacceptable behavior is expected to comply immediately.
- ASLO staff (or their designee) or security may take any action deemed necessary and appropriate, including immediate removal from the meeting without warning or refund.
- ASLO reserves the right to prohibit attendance at any future meeting.
Reporting Unacceptable Behavior
- If you are the subject of unacceptable behavior or have witnessed any such behavior, please immediately notify an ASLO staff member or ASLO officer.
- Notification can be done by contacting an ASLO staff person on site or by emailing your concern to President@aslo.org, Presidentemail@example.com, or Pastfirstname.lastname@example.org.
- Anyone experiencing or witnessing behavior that constitutes an immediate or serious threat to public safety is advised to contact 911 and locate a house phone and ask for security.