Your privacy is important to the Association for the Sciences of Limnology and Oceanography (ASLO), Inc. Our information collection principles are as follows:
- ASLO only collects personal information to provide membership and event services as well as enhance the aims and goals of the society.
- We store personal information for only as long as we have a reason to keep it.
- We will only use your personal data for the purposes for which we collected it, unless we reasonably consider that we need to use it for another reason and that reason is compatible with the original purpose.
- We aim for full transparency on how we gather, use, and share your personal information.
Who we are and what this policy covers
ASLO is the leading professional organization for researchers and educators in the field of aquatic science. ASLO is best known for its highly cited journals, its interdisciplinary meetings, and its programs in public education and outreach, public policy, and professional development.
- Foster timely creation and communication of knowledge at the forefront of all the aquatic sciences, encouraging interdisciplinary synthesis and integration.
- Enhance the preparation of a diverse new generation of international scientists to meet the dynamic needs of society for aquatic science expertise.
- Operate a global organization that is sustainable, transparent, inclusive, and responsive.
ASLO pursues fulfillment of its mission, in part, by:
- Maintaining the ASLO website and the services it provides.
- Providing membership and professional recognition for those working in aquatic science.
- Organizing aquatic science events open to both members and the public.
- Publishing leading aquatic science journals and other publications.
- Providing advice and guidance on aquatic science to aquatic scientists, policy makers and government.
- Use the ASLO website.
- Use our mobile applications.
- Register for our events, or become a member or guest of ASLO.
You may address questions you may have or exercise your legal rights regarding your personal data by contacting:
ASLO Business Office
1120 20th Street, NW
Washington, DC, 20036
Email: [email protected]
Information We Collect
Definition of personal data: Any information about an individual from which that person can be identified. It does not include data where the identity has been removed (anonymous data).
We may collect, use, store and transfer different kinds of personal data about you if we have a reason to do so; to provide our Services, to communicate with you, or to improve our Services for example.
We collect information in three ways: data you provide to us directly, automatically through operating our Services, and from third parties or publicly available sources.
Information you may provide to us
- Identity data which includes first name, middle name, last name, a user name or similar identifier, title, date of birth and gender.
- Demographic and professional data which includes career status, place of employment, degrees and awards, areas of scientific study and scientific specialties, and areas of professional expertise
- Contact data which includes billing address, delivery address, email addresses, telephone numbers, and fax number.
- Financial data which includes invoices, bank transfers, expense reimbursement, and payment card details.
- Transaction data which includes details about payments to and from you and other details of products and Services, including membership, conference registration, and exhibition, that you have purchased from ASLO.
- Profile data which includes user name and password, social media information, purchases or orders made by you, your preferences, feedback, survey and poll responses, participation in communities and groups and any posts, replies and other content (images, videos, sound recordings, etc.) you supply, and file downloads.
- Event participation data including registration fees and payment, presentation information, participation information, and itinerary data.
- Marketing and communications data which includes your preferences in receiving marketing from us and our third parties and your communication preferences.
Information we may collect automatically
- Technical data which includes internet protocol (IP) address, login data, browser type and version, time zone setting and location, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform and other technology on the devices you use to access this website.
- Site usage data and logs which includes information about how you use our website, products and Services
Information we may obtain from third parties
- Analytics which includes data provided search engine such as Google (based outside of the EU).
- Contact, financial and transaction data from providers of technical, payment and delivery Services such as BluePay (based outside of the EU), our credit card processor.
- Address validation which includes feedback from publishers about delivery of ASLO products
- Participation data which includes author information from one or more ASLO publications as well as registration, attendance and presentation data from meetings held jointly with or separate from ASLO.
- We may also collect and use aggregated data such as statistical or demographic data for any purpose. Aggregated data may be derived from your personal data but is not considered personal data in law as this data does not directly or indirectly reveal your identity. However, if we combine or connect aggregated data with your personal data so that it can directly or indirectly identify you, we treat the combined data as personal data which will be used in accordance with this privacy notice.
How We Use Your Personal Data
Personal data of individuals may be used for several purposes. Among them are:
- Membership administration including membership application and renewal;
- Provision of member benefits including access to website Services
- Delivery of products and Services including ASLO journals and other publications
- Management of subscriptions;
- Communication of ASLO events, products, Services, offerings, benefits and opportunities;
- Direct marketing by ASLO or select third party organizations;
- Member and customer data analysis;
- Development of directories; and
- Product and Services customization and improvement.
Legal Basis for Collecting and Processing Personal Data
There are several legal bases for ASLO’s collection and processing of personal data:
- For the legitimate interests of ASLO, including the several uses listed above;
- To perform a contract;
- Based on consent; and
- Legal compliance.
Generally, we do not rely on consent as a legal basis for processing your personal data other than in relation to sending select third party direct marketing communications via physical mail. You have the right to withdraw consent to marketing at any time by contacting us at [email protected].
When and How We Share Personal Data
We share information about you in the limited circumstances spelled out below and with appropriate safeguards on your privacy:
- Employees and contractors: We may disclose information about you to our employees, and individuals or organizations who are our independent contractors that need to know the information in order to help us provide our Services or to process the information on our behalf.
- Third party vendors: We may share information about you with third party vendors who need to know information about you in order to provide their Services to us such as:
- Sponsors of ASLO activities;
- Exhibitors at ASLO events;
- Publishers of ASLO publications;
- Cloud service providers;
- Service providers who perform functions such as marketing, research, shipping and fulfilment; and
- Vendors, such as insurance, association management and credit card companies.
This group also includes vendors that help us provide our Services to you (like payment providers that process your credit and debit card information) and those that help us understand and enhance our Services (like analytics providers).
- As required by law: We may disclose information about you in response to a court order, or other governmental request.
- To protect rights and property: We may disclose information about you when we believe in good faith that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect the property or rights of ASLO, third parties, or the public at large.
- With your consent: We may share your information with third parties with which you authorize us to do so.
- Aggregated data: We may share information that has been aggregated or reasonably de-identified, so that the information could not reasonably be used to identify you. For instance, we may publish aggregate diversity statistics about the use of our Services.
- Support requests:If you send us a request (for example, via a support email or one of our feedback mechanisms), we reserve the right to publish that request in order to help us clarify or respond to your request or to help us support other users
Site of Processing of Personal Data
Personal data of individuals collected by ASLO may be stored and processed in the United States, Europe, or any other country in which ASLO, its vendors, or partners maintain facilities. ASLO generally collects and processes personal data in the US. In the event personal data is collected in the EU and is then transferred to the US, or is transferred to any other country outside of the EU, ASLO will do so because there is a legal reason, such as performing/executing a contract, or to achieve a legitimate interest of ASLO.
Personal data may be retained by ASLO for as long as necessary or is useful to pursue the legitimate interests of ASLO. Other factors may include: the duration of the business or contractual relationship between the ASLO and an individual; archiving of historical information; and legal requirements, including limitations periods during which a legal claim might be brought.
We have put in place appropriate security measures to prevent your personal data from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorized way, altered or disclosed. In addition, we limit access to your personal data to those employees, agents, contractors and other third parties who have a business need to know. They will only process your personal data on our instructions and they are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
We have put in place procedures to deal with any suspected personal data breach and will notify you and any applicable regulator of a breach where we are legally required to do so.
You can ask us or third parties to stop sending you marketing messages at any time by logging into the ASLO website and checking or unchecking relevant boxes to adjust your marketing preferences or by following the opt-out links on any marketing message sent to you or by contacting us at any time.
Where you opt out of receiving these marketing messages, this will not apply to personal data provided to us as a result of a product/service experience or other transaction.
Your Legal Rights
Under certain circumstances, you have the rights below under data protection laws in relation to your personal data:
- Request access to your personal data.
- Request correction of your personal data.
- Request erasure of your personal data.
- Object to processing of your personal data.
- Request restriction of processing of your personal data.
- Request transfer of your personal data.
- Right to withdraw consent.
No fee usually required
You will not have to pay a fee to access your personal data (or to exercise any of the other rights). However, we may charge a reasonable fee if your request is clearly unfounded, repetitive or excessive. Alternatively, we may refuse to comply with your request in these circumstances.
What we may need from you
We may need to request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity and ensure your right to access your personal data (or to exercise any of your other rights). This is a security measure to ensure that personal data is not disclosed to any person who has no right to receive it. We may also contact you to ask you for further information in relation to your request to speed up our response.
Time limit to respond
We try to respond to all legitimate requests within one month. Occasionally it may take us longer than a month if your request is particularly complex or you have made a number of requests. In this case, we will notify you and keep you updated.
How to exercise your rights
If you wish to exercise any of the rights set out above, please contact the ASLO Business office at [email protected] or by phone or mail as described in the Contact section above.