The 2022 Ocean Sciences Meeting (OSM 2022) is co-sponsored by the American Geophysical Union (AGU), the Association for the Sciences of Limnology and Oceanography (ASLO), and The Oceanography Society (TOS), (“The Societies”) AGU, ASLO and TOS are committed to protecting your privacy and honor your right to make choices about the information you share.
As the Ocean Sciences Meeting is a collaborative meeting, the Societies rotate which Society operates the OSM website, processes registration, and collects submissions for the scientific program. For OSM 2022, ASLO will be the Society operating the OSM 2022 website, processing registrations, and collecting submissions for the scientific program. While ASLO has responsibility for logistics of this specific instance of the meeting, all three societies will have access to at least some of the information collected.
Your privacy is important to OSM, and the information collection principles are as follows:
- OSM only collects personal information to provide membership and event services as well as to enhance the aims and goals of the meeting as it continues to evolve.
- Information is stored for only as long as there is a reason to keep it.
- Personal data is used only for the purposes for which it is collected, unless there is a reason to use it and that reason is compatible with the original purpose.
- Gathering information is a transparent process that explains how personal information would also be potentially used or shared.
What this policy covers
OSM is the leading professional meeting for researchers and educators in the field of oceanic science and is known to convene programs on basic and applied science, as well as providing outreach, public policy, and professional development opportunities.
OSM pursues fulfillment of its goal to convene oceans scientists and affiliated groups, in part, by:
- Maintaining the OSM website and the services it provides.
- Organizing science events open to both members and, at times, to the public.
- Partnering with ocean science-affiliated organizations to broaden scientific knowledge and appeal
- Use the OSM website.
- Use mobile applications.
- Register for events.
You may address questions you may have or exercise your legal rights regarding your personal data by contacting:
OSM 2022 Meeting Services
1105 Wooded Acres Dr, Suite 260
Waco, TX 76710 USA
1 254-776-3550 Phone
[email protected] email
Definition of personal data: Any information about an individual from which that person can be identified. It does not include data where the identity has been removed (anonymous data).
Personal data may be collected, used, stored and transferred if there is reason to do so, including to provide Services, to communicate with you, or to improve Services, for example.
Information is collected in three ways: data you provide directly, automatically through operating in Services, and from third parties or publicly available sources.
Information you may provide
- Identity data which includes first name, middle name, last name, a user name or similar identifier, title, date of birth and gender.
- Demographic and professional data which includes career status, place of employment, degrees and awards, areas of scientific study and scientific specialties, and areas of professional expertise
- Contact data which includes billing address, delivery address, email addresses, telephone numbers, and fax number.
- Financial data which includes invoices, bank transfers, expense reimbursement, and payment card details.
- Transaction data which includes details about payments to and from you and other details of products and Services, including membership, conference registration, and exhibition, that you have purchased from OSM.
- Profile data which includes user name and password, social media information, purchases or orders made by you, your preferences, feedback, survey and poll responses, participation in communities and groups and any posts, replies and other content (images, videos, sound recordings, etc.) you supply, and file downloads.
- Event participation data including registration fees and payment, presentation information, participation information, and itinerary data.
- Marketing and communications data which includes your preferences in receiving marketing from us and third party partners and your communication preferences.
Information that may be collect automatically
- Technical data which includes internet protocol (IP) address, login data, browser type and version, time zone setting and location, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform and other technology on the devices you use to access this website.
- Site usage data and logs which includes information about how you use the website, products and Services
Information that may be obtained from third parties
- Analytics which includes data provided search engine such as Google (based outside of the EU).
- Contact, financial and transaction data from providers of technical, payment and delivery Services such as BluePay (based outside of the EU), or a credit card processor.
- Address validation which includes feedback from publishers about delivery of OSM products
- Participation data which includes registration, attendance and presentation data from meetings held jointly with or separate from OSM.
- Aggregated data, such as statistical or demographic data, may be collected and used for any purpose. Aggregated data may be derived from your personal data but is not legally considered personal data as this data does not directly or indirectly reveal your identity. However, if aggregated data is combined or connected with your personal data so that it can directly or indirectly identify you, the combined data is treated as personal data which will be used in accordance with this privacy notice.
Use of Personal Data
Personal data of individuals may be used for several purposes. Among them are:
- Access to website Services
- Delivery of products and Services
- Management of registrations;
- Communication of OSM events, products, Services, offerings, benefits and opportunities;
- Direct marketing by OSM or select third party organizations;
- Member and customer data analysis;
- Development of directories; and
- Product and Services customization and improvement.
Legal Basis for Collecting and Processing Personal Data
There are several legal bases for collection and processing of personal data:
- For the legitimate interests of OSM, including the several uses listed above;
- To perform a contract;
- Based on consent; and
- Legal compliance.
Generally, there is not a reliance on consent as a legal basis for processing your personal data other than in relation to sending select third party direct marketing communications via physical mail. You have the right to withdraw consent to marketing at any time by contacting us at [email protected].
When and How Personal Data is Shared
Information is shared about you in the limited circumstances spelled out below and with appropriate safeguards on your privacy:
- Employees and contractors: Information about you may be disclosed to employees, and individuals or organizations who are independent contractors that need to know the information in order to help provide Services or to process the information.
- Third party vendors: Your information may be shared with third-party vendors who need to know information about you in order to provide their Services, such as:
- Sponsors of OSM activities;
- Exhibitors at OSM events;
- Cloud service providers;
- Service providers who perform functions such as marketing, research, shipping and fulfilment; and
- Vendors, such as insurance, association management and credit card companies.
This group also includes vendors that help provide Services to you (like payment providers that process your credit and debit card information) and analytics providers.
- As required by law: Your information may be disclosed in response to a court order, or other governmental request.
- To protect rights and property: Your information may be disclosed when there is, in good faith, a belief that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect the property or rights of OSM, third parties, or the public at-large.
- With your consent: Your information may be shared with third parties which you authorize.
- Aggregated data: Aggregated, or reasonably de-identified data about you may be shared, so that the information could not reasonably be used to identify you. For instance, aggregate diversity statistics about the use of Services could be published.
- Support requests: If you send a request (for example, via a support email or another feedback mechanism), that request may be published in order to help clarify or respond to your request or to help support other users.
Site of Processing of Personal Data
Personal data of individuals collected may be stored and processed in the United States, Europe, or any other country in which OSM, its vendors, or partners maintain facilities. OSM generally collects and processes personal data in the US. In the event personal data is collected in the EU and is then transferred to the US, or is transferred to any other country outside of the EU, OSM will do so because there is a legal reason, such as performing/executing a contract, or to achieve a legitimate interest of OSM.
Personal data may be retained for as long as necessary or is useful to pursue legitimate interests of the meeting. Other factors may include: the duration of the business or contractual relationship between the OSM and an individual; archiving of historical information; and legal requirements, including limitations periods during which a legal claim might be brought.
Appropriate security measures are in place to prevent your personal data from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorized way, altered or disclosed. In addition, access to your personal data is limited to those employees, agents, contractors and other third parties who have a business need to know. They will only process your personal data when instructed and they are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
There are procedures to deal with any suspected personal data breach and you would be notified of any applicable regulator of a breach when there is a legal requirement to do so.
You can ask OSM or third parties to stop sending you marketing messages at any time by logging into the membership database used for event registration (AGU, ASLO, and/or TOS) and checking or unchecking relevant boxes to adjust your marketing preferences or by following the opt-out links on any marketing message sent to you or by contacting us at any time.
Where you opt out of receiving these marketing messages, this will not apply to personal data provided to us as a result of a product/service experience or other transaction.
Your Legal Rights
Under certain circumstances, you have the rights below under data protection laws in relation to your personal data:
- Request access to your personal data.
- Request correction of your personal data.
- Request erasure of your personal data.
- Object to processing of your personal data.
- Request restriction of processing of your personal data.
- Request transfer of your personal data.
- Right to withdraw consent.
No fee usually required
You will not have to pay a fee to access your personal data (or to exercise any of the other rights). However, a reasonable fee may be charged if your request is clearly unfounded, repetitive or excessive. There is not an obligation to comply with requests in these circumstances.
What may be needed from you
Specific information may be requested to confirm your identity and ensure your right to access your personal data (or to exercise any of your other rights). This is a security measure to ensure that personal data is not disclosed to any person who has no right to receive it. You may be contacted to ask you for further information in relation to your request and to speed a response.
Time limit to respond
Responses are generally answered within one month. Occasionally it may take us longer than a month if your request is particularly complex or you have made a number of requests. In this case, you will be notified and updated on the progress.
How to exercise your rights
If you wish to exercise any of the rights set out above, please contact the OSM Business Office at [email protected] or by phone or mail as described in the Contact section above.