- Download the media tipsheet (pdf)
- Browse press releases and media advisories
Press access to the meeting is issued at the discretion of the OSM Media Relations Office. Press access is non-transferable. All registrants must provide credentials regardless of whether they have attended past Ocean Sciences Meetings. If you have questions about these requirements, please contact OSM Media Relations.
OSM Meetings and The Press
The OSM Media Relations Office provides complimentary press registration to working members of the press for the express purpose of gathering news and information to produce media coverage of the Ocean Sciences Meeting.
Press registrants at our meetings receive, at no charge, access to all scientific sessions. Some events and activities, including but not limited to invitation-only events and communications workshops, are not open to press registrants.
NOTE: Audio recording and video recording are not allowed in scientific sessions or in poster halls. Photography is allowed throughout the meeting, however, please see OSM's social media and photography policy for more information.
Press attendees who speak or present posters as part of the meeting programming are expected to pay the registration fee for the day, or days, of their presentation.
Who Is Eligible?
- Professional journalists who present appropriate credentials will be considered for complimentary press registration.
- Staff journalists: Provide a picture of your press pass or business card, link to the mastheadof your outlet listing your name and position, or link to your byline.Staff journalists must be employed by recognized news media outlets that distribute news to the general public. Media outlets associated with advocacy organizations must be editorially independent of the advocacy organization.
- Press officers: Provide a picture of your business card or link to your institution’s staff webpage listing your name and position.If your job title does not clearly state your media relations role, provide additional information about your job description and the work you do to support your institution's press outreach. Professionals in government affairs, public policy, marketing and project management do not qualify as press officers.
- Freelance science journalists: Provide links to three bylined news stories (text, audio or visual) about Earth and space science, published by recognized news outlets and intended for a general audience, published in the last year. Writers for corporate-owned and personal blogs are ineligible.
- Long form writers and documentary filmmakers should provide links to previous work and describe your current project in the Earth and space sciences.
- Journalism students: Attach a letter from your program office assigning you coverage of the meeting.
Who Is Ineligible?
Editors of scientific journals, educators, researchers in science communication, professionals in government affairs, public policy, marketing and project management, and representatives of publishing houses, the business side of news media, political action committees or similar, and for-profit corporations, will not be accredited as press and must register as regular attendees.
OSM Media Registration
Before navigating to the registration site, please review all of the information and press requirements at right.
Please remember that press attendees who speak or present posters as part of the meeting programming are expected to pay the registration fee for the day, or days, of their presentation.
Questions may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.