ASLO 2018 Summer Meeting

Traveling To Victoria

The following information is provided to make international travel as convenient as possible for non-Canadian attendees. Once you have completed the conference registration process you will find participant letters under your registration account, which you are free to print for your convenience. The conference management staff is willing to provide information whenever possible. However, please note the following:

  • Invitation and participation letters cannot be issued to potential attendees until registration and full payment are made.
  • Conference organizers are unable to send invitation letters directly to consulates on behalf of a potential attendee. Invitation letters are prepared solely for individuals and are emailed directly to them.
  • It is the participant’s responsibility to ensure documentation is correct and completed in a timely manner before you start your journey. It is recommended that application for a visa be made at least 10 weeks prior to the proposed travel dates.
  • People visiting Canada from the U.S. and from non-U.S. countries require a valid passport and possibly other documentation. Contact your nearest embassy or consulate with any questions or concerns regarding your travel requirements.
  • It is suggested that attendees, exhibitors, and speakers bring with them a copy of the Letter of Recognition to present when crossing the border into Canada. To obtain a copy, please open and print the following link:

    ASLO 2018 CBSA Letter of Recognition

Traveling by Air

If you are traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean and Bermuda, you must present a valid passport. For more information, please go to:

Traveling by Land or Sea

If you are traveling by land or sea (including cruises and ferries) between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean and Bermuda, and you are a U.S. or Canadian citizen age 19 and older, you must present a passport or other approved secure document denoting citizenship and identity.

Enhanced Driver's Licenses (EDLs) have been formally identified as acceptable documentation requirements for land and sea crossings. If you are a U.S. citizen and a Washington State resident, you are eligible to purchase an Enhanced Driver License (EDL), which will meet the requirements for proof of citizenship to re-enter the U.S. from Canada and Mexico by land or sea.

Visa Requirements

To find out if you need a visa to enter Canada, please go to:

For more information on applying for a visa to enter Canada, please go to:

Traveling with Minors

If you are traveling to Canada with children age 18 or under: please

Traveler Program Cards

Trusted traveler program cards will continue to be accepted for cross-border travel.

For more information on NEXUS:

For more information on CANPASS (for travelers entering Canada only):


If you are a U.S. citizen looking for information on passports, please visit the U.S. Department of State website.

For More Information, Please Visit:

US Customs and Border Protection
Canada Border Services Agency
Passport Canada

Getting to Victoria by Air

Victoria International Airport (YYJ) is the ninth busiest in Canada and serves 1.5 million passengers per year. The city is well served with more than 120 daily flights from destinations throughout North America including non-stop service from Vancouver, Toronto, Edmonton, Calgary, San Francisco and Seattle. For more details about the Victoria International Airport, please go to:

Airline Reservation Assistance

For your convenience, you may contact Bambi Eskew at Allen Samuels House of Travel at 254-776-2560 or by e-mail to for assistance with your travel plans.

Airport shuttle information

Airport shuttle transportation to and from downtown Victoria is operated by YYJ Airport Shuttle. Reservations are recommended. For more information, go to: You may reserve and purchase online, or you may call 778-351-4995 or 1-855-351-4995. 

Arriving by ferry

Most travelers to Victoria from the mainland catch a ferry for vehicle and passenger services. Ferry service efficiently connects Victoria on Vancouver Island to its Canadian and US neighbors. These services are available from various points in British Columbia and Washington State. BC Ferries is the primary provider of coastal ferry transportation in the province with frequent daily service between Vancouver and Victoria. The company brings cars and passengers to its terminal at Swartz Bay, approximately 32 km north of Victoria. This is about 30 minutes north of Victoria. For more information on ferry services, please go to