ASLO is now accepting applications for the 2024 Science Communication Internship. This remote internship will begin early 2024 with a 15-week commitment (more details on timing and stipend below). The goal of the internship is to provide exposure to many forms of science communication and various career paths within the sciences. The internship is available to current or recent graduate students (degree awarded within 2 years) in the aquatic sciences anywhere in our international community. Selection criteria include demonstrated interest in one or more aspects of science communication, strong communication and interpersonal skills, and excellent academic record within the aquatic sciences.
The application deadline is Monday 11 December 2023 at 11:59pm ET.
More about the internship:
The successful applicant will work closely with ASLO’s Communications and Program Manager Brittany Schieler on a wide variety of projects in the areas of member and public engagement, education, publications, and science policy. The ASLO Science Communication Intern will complete a personal learning plan and have the opportunity to pursue a signature project within their specific area of interest. Interns will also assist with formulation and coordination of new and long-standing programs for ASLO members. Through this experience, the intern will gain valuable insights into the operation of non-profit science associations and how science is communicated to a variety of audiences, as well as gain project management skills. Read about the experiences of previous ASLO interns at https://aslo.org/page/scicomm-internship.
The 2024 ASLO SciComm intern will have the opportunity to work on projects in a variety of areas, including but not limited to:
- Education and Member and Public Engagement. Gain experience in aquatic science education and engagement by working with ASLO’s Education and Engagement Committee, the Consortium of Aquatic Science Societies (CASS), and ASLO’s public facing platforms including the website.
- Scientific Writing and Publishing. Hone science writing skills by preparing material for ASLO’s social media channels, the ASLO Blogs, and the L&O Bulletin. Learn about the publishing and editorial process as articles for L&O Bulletin prepared by the Communications Office are compiled and sent to press, as well as by interfacing with the ASLO Editors and Raelyn Cole Editorial Fellows.
- Scientific Meetings. Get a first-hand look at how scientific meetings are organized by assisting the Communications Office with planning programming and communications for the 2024 ASLO Summer Meeting in Madison, WI, USA.
- Policy. Learn how policy is formulated in the U.S. by attending virtual briefings and hearings, as well as working alongside our partner organizations on aquatic science policy issues and events.
- International Collaboration. Learn more about international research and science collaboration by providing support for the NSF-funded Limnology & Oceanography Research Exchange (LOREX) program.
The intern will be expected to assist the Communications and Program Manager with all aspects of day-to-day operations of the Communications Office, with ample opportunity to pursue an independent project in the intern’s area of interest.
Timing, Stipend, and Schedule
The internship will begin on or around 1 March 2024 with a stipend of $750 per week (with an expectation of ~30 hours per week). Start date is flexible and the intern will work with the Communications and Program Manager to set a schedule that fits their goals. Included in the internship is funds to participate in-person at the 2024 ASLO Summer Meeting in Madison, WI, USA (1-7 June).
Application for the ASLO Science Communication Internship
Eligibility: This internship is available to current graduate students or individuals who have received a graduate degree in the aquatic sciences within 2 years of application. Applicants from outside the US are eligible to apply.
Applications: To apply for the ASLO Science Communication Internship, please submit the following via email to Dr. Brittany Schieler, ASLO Communications and Program Manager, at [email protected]. Applications must be received by 11:59pm ET on 11 December 2023.
- Cover letter (2 pages maximum) stating your communications interests, career goals, and what you feel you can contribute to ASLO’s Communications programs.
- Short form resume including your most relevant coursework.
- Contact information for two professional references including your current academic advisor if you are a student or other mentor.
Questions about the internship should be sent to Dr. Brittany Schieler, ASLO Communications and Program Manager at [email protected].