Adopted by vote of the membership, June, 1994
ASLO expects adherence to the highest ethical standards in both the conduct of research and application of that research to meet the scientific and policy needs of Society. ASLO recognizes as legitimate and supports the provision of expertise in support of public policy. In all actions as professionals, the Society deems reprehensible scientific misconduct, such as falsification, fabrication, and plagiarism, and otherwise deliberate deception and fraud, coercion of others, and tampering with or obstruction of the research of others. Further, the society recognizes an obligation on the part of individuals and institutions to identify and remedy scientific misconduct for the benefit of the scientific community.
IN INTERACTIONS WITH COLLEAGUES, STUDENTS AND EMPLOYEES, MEMBERS OF ASLO HAVE RESPONSIBILITIES TO:
- Provide intellectual leadership, and accept responsibility for all research carried out under their supervision;
- Ensure a safe and healthy research environment, where everyone is informed of inherent risks and safety protocols;
- Avoid discrimination, such as differential treatment on a basis other than individual merit or needs;
- Promote high standards in the education and training of students and post-doctoral associates;
- Discuss and follow guidelines for the ownership of data, responsible authorship, and acknowledgment of contributions by others;
- Guarantee the accessibility to colleagues of data, research results and research products generated through the conduct of their own research; and
- Respect the privileged nature of unpublished data, ideas and products.
AS MEMBERS OF THE SCIENTIFIC COMMUNITY, MEMBERS OF ASLO HAVE OBLIGATIONS TO:
- Provide objective, accurate, and timely reviews of professional work of colleagues when requested;
- Communicate honestly and completely data and results;
- Fulfill professional commitments;
- Make available scientific findings through appropriate and timely publication; and
- Provide service and guidance to the scientific profession and keep informed of advances in knowledge and techniques.
AS CITIZENS IN LOCAL, NATIONAL AND GLOBAL COMMUNITIES, MEMBERS OF ASLO HAVE RESPONSIBILITIES TO:
- Accurately represent expertise and identify as such factual knowledge and interpretation(s) based on that knowledge;
- Promote education of the public on scientific issues and present scientific results at public functions; and
- Promote environmental integrity and conduct research in a responsible and humane manner.