There aren’t many fields that are more photogenic than aquatic science – from beautiful landscapes and mysterious microscopic organisms to the innovative ways aquatic scientists gather data. The winning photos will be used on the ASLO website, blogs, and communications (e.g., journal covers, marketing brochures, social media sites, etc.) for the membership and general public to see! The winning photographer in each category received a $100 prize.
- Research: A single image that captures the essence of your research program or experiment in the field or the lab.
- Flora and Fauna: Show us your favorite aquatic organisms.
- Aquatic Habitats: Images of aquatic communities and ecosystems
- Microscopic Photography: Photos of the smallest organisms and geological features that are invisible to the human eye.
- Macro(scopic) Photography: Photos that are extreme close-ups, usually of very small subjects and living organisms.
- Conservation and Management: Photos that highlight conservation needs, activities, or success stories of aquatic ecosystems and organisms.
- Altered Art: Photos or photo collages that have been significantly altered to use art to tell a science story.
Photos were submitted under the following conditions
- By submitting a photo, you warrant and represent that the photo you submit (the "Submission") is your own original work, that you alone own copyright to, and that no other party has any right, title, claim or interest in the Submission. By submitting a photo that contains recognizable people including yourself, colleagues, or others, you attest that all individuals in the photo have granted permission to submit the photo, and have read and agree to the terms and conditions of this contest.
- By submitting a photo to the 2020 Photo Contest you grant ASLO a royalty-free, worldwide, perpetual license to display, distribute and reproduce the Submission, in whole or in part, in any medium now existing, or subsequently developed for editorial purposes without further review or participation from you.
- By submitting a photo, you grant permission for the Association for the Sciences of Limnology and Oceanography (ASLO) to use the photograph(s) for other purposes, such as in an issue of the Bulletin, ASLO’s website at also.org, or ASLO’s social media accounts. We will, of course, provide credit to photographers whenever their photo is used.
- Photos submitted without meeting the “Acceptable Image Format” or “Contest Rules” stated above will not be considered.
- Please keep the content clean and appropriate. Inappropriate content will not be accepted.
Email us with questions at [email protected].