The Faculty 7: Natural and Environmental Sciences at the University of Koblenz-Landau invites applications for a PhD position in Environmental Science / Physical Limnology at the Institute for Environmental Sciences at the Campus Landau/Pfalz, Germany.
The position will be associated with the Environmental Physics Group (http://www.uphysik.unilandau.de/) at the Campus Landau (Prof. Dr. Andreas Lorke,). It is limited to a period of 3 years and subject to the German law on fixed-term contracts in science. Salary will be according to the German public service salary scale Entgeltgruppe 13 TV-L (75 % part time position).
The formation and rise of gas bubbles, ranging in size from micrometers to centimeters, constitutes
an important, yet poorly understood, transport pathway for gases as well as for dissolved and particulate matter in aquatic ecosystems. The project aims at investigating the processes that control the abundance and characteristics of gas bubbles in freshwater ecosystems and their role in biogeochemical cycling and contaminant transport. The processes will be studied in extensive field measurements in lakes and rivers in Germany. The study is part of a collaborative research project with the Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research, where a companion PhD study will be conducted.
- Master degree in Physics, Biogeochemistry, Environmental Sciences, Engineering or other relevant fields
- Interests and knowledge/experience in the following fields: limnology, fluid mechanics, system analysis and field-based research
- Capability of conducting independent research, excellent skills in English language and scientific writing
- 3 year contract in a fully funded collaborative research project
- Excellent interdisciplinary support, national and international collaborations and access to state-of-the-art research facilities and instrumentation
- The place of work will be the Institute for Environmental Sciences Landau, a friendly and international working environment within a region of high living quality
Please contact Prof. Dr. Andreas Lorke (firstname.lastname@example.org) for further
Applications should include a letter of motivation, a complete curriculum vitae including copies of certificates and a letter of recommendation for the announced position from a referee. Please send your application, quoting the reference number 69/2019 via email in a single pdf document to email@example.com. Applications arriving before 1 August 2019 will be given priority. Late applications might be considered, if the postion is still vacant.