Lab Manager - Marine Genomics
Hakai Institute - Quadra Island, BC
The Tula Foundation's Hakai Institute (www.hakai.org) is a scientific research institution conducting long-term research at remote locations on the coastal margin of British Columbia. As part of our ongoing research in marine genomics, we seek an experienced Lab Manager to join our multidisciplinary team of scientists at our laboratory facility on Quadra Island, BC.
This candidate will work with our existing lab staff to develop and implement molecular methods to support research in microbial ecology, eDNA, and DNA barcoding. Furthermore, this manager will work with Hakai Research Scientists to expand our existing genomics-related research projects and develop new protocols and laboratory methods.
Responsibilities and Duties
· Manage samples and data from multiple genomic
· Provide training and leadership to laboratory technicians
· Develop and troubleshoot new laboratory methods
· Assist in bench work including DNA/RNA extraction and PCR
Qualifications and Skills
· A Master of Science in a field related to molecular
biology or environmental genomics
· Experience in either microbial ecology, eDNA, metagenomics, or other high-throughput sequencing application
· Experience with project management
· Experience with high-throughput sequencing and library preparation
· Strong leadership skills, with experience supervising a small to medium sized team of researchers
· Ability to work with minimal supervision and implement and troubleshoot new methods
· Ability to set priorities in order to balance multiple projects and meet deadlines
· Willingness to live in a small island community (Quadra Island, BC)
Salary to be negotiated
Competitive Benefits Package
Closing date for this position is February 15, 2019
Visit https://tula.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=2 to apply.