Hello again, ocean science community!
First, a quick reminder that the session proposal submission deadline is 26 May 2021. Submit your proposal soon!
This OSM, we seek to support the goals of the United Nations Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development.
In 2017, the United Nations announced the Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development for 2021-2030. This initiative seeks to propel ocean sciences to the forefront of policy and promote international collaboration to generate the global ocean science needed to support the sustainable development of our shared ocean.
To achieve the goals of a resilient, predictable, safe, productive, transparent, and valued ocean, the Ocean Decade has identified key challenges to address:
- Understand and beat marine pollution
- Protect and restore ecosystems and biodiversity
- Sustainably feed the global population
- Develop a sustainable and equitable ocean
- Unlock ocean-based solutions to climate change
- Increase community resilience to ocean hazards
- Expand the Global Ocean Observing System
- Create a digital representation of the ocean
- Deliver data, knowledge, and technology to all
- Change humanity’s relationship with the ocean
The science presented and shared at the Ocean Sciences Meetings is crucial to tackling these challenges. Sessions provide a unique opportunity to contribute to foundational science and create actionable solutions. With in-person, virtual, and hybrid sessions, as well as Innovative Sessions, we aim to expand the accessibility of ocean science to the international community.
We look forward to sharing more on our efforts to support the UN Decade of Ocean Science!
– The OSM 2022 Organizing Committee