Madison – An Aquatic Focus
Rich heritage of the lake country around Madison includes five within the city – all primarily fed by the Yahara River. Clarity of the water attracted original settlers to the area and water continues to be an important part of Madison’s culture. The Monona Terrace Community and Convention Center is located on the shores of Lake Monona. Patterned after the Swiss cities of Lucerne and Geneva, Madison shares the trait of a lake-front location, contributing to the economic and cultural atmosphere.
A growing population is followed by challenges. For Madison, this included pollution problems in the lakes and other aquatic trials through the decades. Innovation and comprehensive actions corrected the maladies, creating today’s modern city. This is a testament to sustaining aquatic ecosystems, making the capital city of Wisconsin an ideal location for the 2020 Joint ASLO-SFS Meeting.
Never a Dull Moment
What to do in and around Madison? The real question is how to narrow down the choices for a few days’ stay. Begin by enjoying the Frank Lloyd Wright-designed Monona Terrace.
The Monona Terrace is in downtown Madison, close to restaurants, museums, and parks. Kayaks, canoes, and paddle boards are available within a 20 minute walk. Enjoy walking or jogging any part of the 17-mile Capital City State Trail that is next to Monona Terrace.
Combining Business with Pleasure
Enjoy the scientific program each the day, visit during the scheduled social times, and appreciate the offerings of Madison. What a great way to spend another Joint ASLO-SFS meeting.
- Make Copies of your ID and Passport: Make two photocopies of your license/ID – or passport for international travelers – in case either is lost or stolen. Bring one copy and store it separately from your original and leave another with a friend or relative.
- Streamline your wallet: Lost wallets are the leading cause of identity theft. Only carry the card(s) you plan to use on your trip, and leave your checkbook and the rest of your cards at home. If you decide to bring more than one credit card, consider stashing the extra, along with account information and customer service numbers for the cards you have with you, in a hotel safe or other secure location.
- Check the weather: Into every life — and vacation — a little rain must fall, so take steps to protect yourself by monitoring the local weather and packing the appropriate gear.
- Avoid oversharing online: Posting photos or checking in on social media sites advertises your absence from home. Real-time updates can be tempting but wait until you return safely home before sharing your adventures.
Additional safety guidelines
- Always remove your meeting name badge when you leave the convention center.
- If you are walking between any destination and your hotel or the convention center, plan your travel route before you depart.
- Use caution when walking on sidewalks and crossing streets and be careful to cross only at designated crosswalks.
- Avoid visible use of cell phones while you are walking.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Make sure your belongings are secure.
- Walk with your colleagues.
- When transportation is needed, take or share a taxi or Uber.
- Check the local weather and pack the appropriate gear before you leave.
Getting Around Madison
Madison is a very walkable city, especially the downtown area and Monona Terrace vicinity. Taxi and Uber service are available for accessing other parts of the city. If you wish to take a taxi from the airport, the area is located at the north end of the baggage claim at Door #7. An exact site for Uber is always provided in the confirmation message.
Check with your hotel, as several have shuttle service for the airport.
Renting a car is a convenient way to explore the Madison area if your plans take you outside the metro area. Discounts are available for meeting attendees through Avis Car Rental. Check the Avis Car Rental for ASLO 2019 section on the Travel/Hotels tab.
Madison is in the U.S. Central Time Zone, which is one hour behind the Eastern Time Zone Standard Time, one hour ahead of Mountain Time and two hours ahead of Pacific Time.
Methods of Payment
Cash, debit, and credit are all will work just fine. ATM’s are available at Monona Terrace, as well as are other convenient locations throughout the city.
While it is allowed to use a cell phone while driving, it is not advisable. It is important to know that a driver may still get pulled over for a ticket if driving erratically and not paying attention to the road. Texting while driving is prohibited.
The legal drinking age in Wisconsin is 21. Photo identification is required to be served or to purchase alcoholic beverages or to enter nightclubs serving alcohol.
The average daily temperature in Madison is 79 degrees Fahrenheit in June. Keep in mind, however, that no matter what the weather may be outside, meeting rooms at the convention center may be cool, so please plan accordingly.