Abstract Submission Overview
To have your abstract considered for acceptance, you must submit before the abstract deadline of 11:59 pm (Central Standard Time) on 9 March 2020. Abstract and registration fees are due at the time of submission and are payable in U.S. dollars. Membership in ASLO or SFS (new and renewal) also can be completed with your registration and abstract submission. If you are not an ASLO or SFS member, we hope that you will join ASLO and/or SFS and take advantage of the discounted registration fees for members!
Please read the following information before you submit the abstract:
- Those who submit abstracts for this meeting must be able to fund their own registration, travel, and accommodation. Opportunities for student and early career travel grants will be available for those who apply. Application for travel grants must be made at the time of abstract submission.
- Only one abstract is permitted per presenting author with the following exceptions:
- Second submission to the designated education and policy session.
- Please keep in mind it may be necessary to accept for poster presentation some abstracts submitted for oral presentation. Likewise, those who submit abstracts for poster presentation may be asked to make an oral presentation.
- The submission deadline of Midnight, Central Standard Time (USA) (11:59 pm) on 9 March 2020 will be strictly adhered to. Abstracts received after this date will not be accepted.
- Only abstracts received via the online submission form on the website will be accepted.
- Accepted authors will be notified in March 2020.
- Presenters will be notified of session assignments in April 2020.
Abstract Submission Requirements
The abstract fee is non-refundable should it later be determined that you are not able to attend and make your presentation. However, registration fees are refundable under the registration guidelines. All persons wishing to contribute an abstract must complete a registration form with payment of the appropriate fees when submitting an abstract. Abstracts will not be accepted if payment for the one-day registration fee only is submitted.
A registration fee and an abstract submission fee must accompany each paper that is presented. Only one abstract per presenting author will be accepted. (Exceptions will be made if a second abstract is submitted to the one designated education and policy session.) This applies to both oral and poster presentations.
Poster presentations are strongly encouraged and will play an important role in this meeting. Please keep in mind it may be necessary to accept for poster presentation some abstracts submitted for oral presentation and, likewise, those who submit abstracts for poster presentation may be asked to make an oral presentation.
Submitting Your Abstract
Everyone who submits an abstract will be required to register for the meeting and pay the appropriate registration and abstract submission fees. This includes speakers who have been contacted by session organizers and “invited” to present in a scientific or education session.
To register for the meeting:
- If you are an SFS member, choose “I want to Register” in the I Want To menu. Select “Create New Account” at the bottom of the login prompt. Create your account and register for the meeting using the member registration rates.
- If you are an ASLO member, log into your ASLO account, choose “My Account” and register for the meeting using the member registration rates.
- If you are not a member of ASLO or SFS, choose “I want to Register” in the I Want To menu. Select “Create New Account” at the bottom of the login prompt. Create your account and register for the meeting at the non-member rates.
- A link to the abstract submission site will be included in your registration confirmation.
To submit your abstract:
- Once at the abstract system, choose “Submit Your Abstract or Event” near the bottom of the page. You will create an account, construct your abstract and pay your abstract fee.You may submit one abstract to the scientific sessions and one abstract to the education and policy sessions. You will only pay one abstract fee regardless of how many abstracts you submit.
Abstract Submission Fees
|Regular Professional & Early Career Members||$70.00 USD|
|Regular & Early Career Non-Members||$90.00 USD|
|Student/Emeritus Member/Developing Country Professional||$40.00 USD|
|Student & Emeritus Non-Members||$60.00 USD|
|Developing Country Student||$20.00 USD|
To assist the organizing committee in assigning your abstract to an appropriate session, you should use the session codes and enter your first, second, and third choices under the Session Topic Code portion of the abstract form. All three choices must be indicated if you wish for your abstract to be considered. Be sure to include the complete code for the appropriate session. While every attempt will be made to accommodate your session requests, the committee cannot guarantee your abstract will be placed in any of the sessions chosen. Priority is given to the overall scientific program, and therefore, final placement is solely at the discretion of the organizing committee.
When you submit the abstract, you will receive a confirmation and will be given a login and password for making necessary edits. Please check the abstract for errors after you submit.
Submission of Additional Abstracts to Designated Sessions and by Invited Tutorial Presenters
Though only one abstract is permitted per presenting author, exceptions will be made for second submissions to this one designated session. The first abstract must be accompanied by a paid abstract submission fee. The second abstract can be submitted to this designated education and policy session without having to pay a second abstract fee. The first submission must be to the scientific session.
- EP01 Scholarship of Teaching and Learning in Freshwater Science
- EP02 Scott Wissinger: Homage to a Scientist, Mentor, and Teacher
Presenting authors will receive electronic confirmation when the abstract and registration are received. Another confirmation will be received in this same manner when the abstract is accepted and assigned. Accepted abstracts will be posted on the website after the scientific program schedule has been determined. If confirmation and notification by electronic means are not possible, please indicate an alternate method of notification when you submit the abstract.
Withdrawal of Presentations
Authors whose papers are accepted and scheduled for presentation at the meeting must notify the conference management office and the lead session organizer if they need to withdraw. Authors are encouraged to send such notice before 17 May 2020.
The original presenting author may have another author present the paper at no charge as long as that person is not already scheduled to present at the meeting. He or she must notify the conference project manager, Sue Rulla, of this change by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.