Job Announcement: Communications Specialist
Part-time, Contractor (2yrs), Remote
About the position: The Association for the Sciences of Limnology and Oceanography (ASLO) seeks an enthusiastic, part time Communications Specialist to assist the Communications and Program Manager (CPM) with the day-to-day functions of the Communications Office, including but not limited to drafting member emails and other communications, engaging membership and the aquatic science community on social media, creating content for our website and other web platforms, and coordinating a portfolio of ASLO programs. This is a great position for those interested in learning more about the functioning of a professional, science non-profit. The Communications Specialist will work closely with the CPM on all tasks, as well as be expected to work with 1-2 Science Communication Interns throughout the course of the year. Contract to begin immediately upon hire.
Job type: Part-time (estimated 20 hours per week) with a 2-year contract.
Pay: Annual contract fee of $25,000 USD.
Schedule: The office works traditional business hours (9am-5pm) in the Eastern Time Zone. However, work schedule for this position is flexible and will be mutually agreed upon by the new hire and the Communications and Program Manager.
Work location: Remote. A physical office is located in Kensington, MD, USA.
How to apply: Please send a resume and cover letter (2-page max each), along with the names and contact information for two professional references, in a single PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In collaboration with the Communications and Program Manager, maintain an engaging social media presence that promotes ASLO’s products and services including its publications, meetings, and professional development offerings. This includes the creation of graphics and visuals for each social media platform.
- Produce and review communications products to inform our membership about ongoing ASLO programs on web, electronic, video, and print-based platforms.
- Liaise with ASLO Committees, members of the Board of Directors, and staff and contractors as needed to communicate ASLO news.
- As travel returns, attendance at a yearly, 2-day meeting in Hoboken, NJ with our publishers Wiley & Sons and ASLO editors and staff.
- Other duties relevant to communications and marketing as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent).
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and online social media platforms.
- Detail oriented.
- Self-directed and ability to work on assigned tasks both independently, as well as with various ASLO staff members and contractors.
- Previous professional experience in communications, public relations, or marketing, especially using various social media platforms (especially Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and LinkedIn) as well as working with social media management tools and analytics.
- Previous experience in graphics design and programs (such as Canva, Illustrator).
- Broad knowledge of ASLO, its members and mission, and/or aquatic science.
ASLO is an international aquatic science society that was founded in 1948. For more than 60 years, it has been the leading professional organization for researchers and educators in the field of aquatic science. The purpose of ASLO is to foster a diverse, international scientific community that creates, integrates and communicates knowledge across the full spectrum of aquatic sciences, advances public awareness and education about aquatic resources and research, and promotes scientific stewardship of aquatic resources for the public interest. Its products and activities are directed toward these ends. With more than 3,800 members worldwide, the society has earned an outstanding reputation and is best known for its journals, interdisciplinary meetings, and special symposia. For more information about ASLO, please visit our website at www.ASLO.org.