We are pleased to announce the availability of funds for the ASLO Global Outreach Initiative. A key component of ASLO’s mission is to advance public awareness and education about aquatic resources and research. In response to an increasingly international membership, ASLO launched the Global Outreach Initiative in 2012 as a way to assist ASLO members outside the U.S. in communicating aquatic science to non-technical audiences. The ASLO Global Outreach Initiative helps our members make oceanography and limnology research more relevant to broad audiences. With support from the Board, funds were distributed in 2012, 2016, and 2017 to a diverse set of creative, well-designed, and impactful outreach projects.
ASLO has committed $10,000 to another round of the Global Outreach Initiative in 2019, to enable individual members or groups of members to reach out to their own communities. Additionally, many ASLO members have donated to the Initiative; these donations and all donations received prior to May 15, will allow us to fund even more projects this year. The ASLO Global Outreach Initiative will provide funds (up to $3000) to ASLO members to conduct aquatic science outreach projects. The goal of this Initiative is to encourage and promote outreach in regions outside of the United States, however proposals generated within the United States that conduct outreach in other countries are also welcome.
Below is more information about the Initiative. Questions about the initiative should be sent to Bob Chen, chair of the ASLO Education Committee at (firstname.lastname@example.org). We expect to support 4-6 awards.
Aim and Scope of the Projects:
The initiative is directed to individual or groups of members who wish to engage in activities with their local community--this could take the form of public lectures, field work, or other educational activities associated with aquatic systems or organisms. It is not intended to provide funds for travel or purchase of books or equipment for ASLO members or their institutions.
Examples of what we would consider:
- Resources required to work with schools or communities
- Funds for boat time for field trips, costs of workshops or open days for students or individuals NOT affiliated with your institution, a local school for example. Funds may NOT be used for teaching your regular undergraduate or graduate level courses.
- Sponsoring a public lecture, this may be done separately or as part of a planned meeting or an ASLO conference
- Translation of existing materials into other languages
- These are some thoughts; we are open to all creative, innovative and/or effective ideas.
Questions about the initiative should be sent to Bob Chen, chair of the ASLO Outreach Committee at (email@example.com).
The application template and link to submission page are on the ASLO website. Applications should contain the following information:
- 100-word Abstract
- Project Proposal – 2 page total maximum
- Proposed Budget: Proposals in the range of $500 to $3000 will be considered. Please provide budget estimates of how the funds will be used. Enough detail should be included so that reviewers can see how the funds will be effectively used.
- Project Description: What is the rationale and problem to be addressed, background, approach to be used and work plan?
- Outreach Objectives: Who is the audience/how are you extending your usual community?
- Anticipated product or outcome: Explain how this project will enhance outreach about aquatic sciences.
- Evaluation plan: How will you measure the impact of your activities?
- Brief biosketch of PI’s (one paragraph); at least one PI must be a current member of ASLO.
Successful applicants will be required to submit a 2-page final report documenting how the ASLO funds were used and the outcome of the project.
If you are uncertain whether your request is appropriate, please send a brief email to firstname.lastname@example.org (Chair of the ASLO Education Committee), and we would be pleased to provide advice and guidance.
Proposals should be submitted via the ASLO website. The deadline for submission is 15 May 2019 (11:59 pm). Award winners will be announced around 15 June 2019.