Calling all photographers!
We are pleased to launch the 2nd ASLO Photo Contest! As we work to address historical divisions and racial inequities in science, we hope that this opportunity to celebrate what unites us – our love of all things aquatic – will help bring us together and bring some joy in these difficult times.
There aren’t many fields that are more photogenic than aquatic science – from beautiful landscapes and mysterious microscopic organisms to the innovative ways aquatic scientists gather data. Winning photos will be used on the ASLO website, blogs, and communications (e.g., journal covers, marketing brochures, social media sites, etc.) for the membership and general public to see! The winning photographer in each category will also receive a $100 prize.
- Research: A single image that captures the essence of your research program or experiment in the field or the lab.
- Flora and Fauna: Show us your favorite aquatic organisms.
- Aquatic Habitats: Images of aquatic communities and ecosystems
- Microscopic Photography: Photos of the smallest organisms and geological features that are invisible to the human eye.
- Macro(scopic) Photography: Photos that are extreme close-ups, usually of very small subjects and living organisms.
- Conservation and Management: Photos that highlight conservation needs, activities, or success stories of aquatic ecosystems and organisms.
- Altered Art: Photos or photo collages that have been significantly altered to use art to tell a science story.
- Only ASLO Members may submit to the photo contest (https://www.aslo.org/photo-contest-2020/)
- Submit entries through the online submission form here. You must log in to view the form.
- Please include a short informative title (15-word max)
- Please include a short but informative caption (150-word max). The caption should:
- Convey the significance of the image to a general audience.
- Provide a photo credit (ex: Photographer Joan Smith, taken 2015; Image courtesy of Joan Smith, taken 2015)
- Contestants can submit up to one photo per category.
- A committee of ASLO members will make an initial assessment of entries and the top images will be selected.
- Final winners will be chosen via an online voting system, open to the public (limit one vote per person per category).
- Winners will be announced 15 September 2020, with the top photo in each category receiving a $100 prize.
Acceptable Image Format
- Submitted in JPG, GIF, or PNG format
- Higher resolution files may be requested if an entry is selected as a winner, or for use on the ASLO website or communications.
- Photos must be submitted by 15 August 2020, to be eligible for the contest
Conditions of Entry
- By submitting a photo, you warrant and represent that the photo you submit (the "Submission") is your own original work, that you alone own copyright to, and that no other party has any right, title, claim or interest in the Submission. By submitting a photo that contains recognizable people including yourself, colleagues, or others, you attest that all individuals in the photo have granted permission to submit the photo, and have read and agree to the terms and conditions of this contest.
- By submitting a photo to the 2020 Photo Contest you grant ASLO a royalty-free, worldwide, perpetual license to display, distribute and reproduce the Submission, in whole or in part, in any medium now existing, or subsequently developed for editorial purposes without further review or participation from you.
- By submitting a photo, you grant permission for the Association for the Sciences of Limnology and Oceanography (ASLO) to use the photograph(s) for other purposes, such as in an issue of the Bulletin, ASLO’s website at aslo.org, or ASLO’s social media accounts. We will, of course, provide credit to photographers whenever their photo is used.
- Photos submitted without meeting the “Acceptable Image Format” or “Contest Rules” stated above will not be considered.
- Please keep the content clean and appropriate. Inappropriate content will not be accepted.
Email us with questions at email@example.com.