Virtual Gathering for ASLO ASM Mentees and Mentors
Tuesday, 6/22/2021, 15:00-16:30 (UTC), Room 7
Organizer: Cynthia Hagley (email@example.com)
Are you signed up for the Meeting Mentor program as a mentee or mentor? Bring a time-zone appropriate beverage and join us to meet and connect with other mentees and mentors. This informal gathering will help you attach faces to names; get to know fellow students, early career scientists, or mentors; and receive guidance on navigating the meeting. Break out “rooms” will be available for deeper discussions if desired.
Interactive Mentoring Workshop – Tips and Tricks to Help You Thrive as an Early Career Researcher (ECR)
Tuesday, 6/22/2021, 13:00-14:30 (UTC), Room 5
Organizer: Mina Bizic (firstname.lastname@example.org)
As a researcher in your early career, you face a lot of situations that are new or difficult to handle. In parallel to the ASLO’s meeting-mentoring program, this workshop aims to address important umbrella aspects hovering above the research activity of early-career scientists. These topics should be a routine part of a mentor – mentee tandem. Whether you are lucky or not to have a mentor, someone you trust and can approach any time for support and advice, joining this workshop will give you the opportunity to hear advice, perhaps alternative, on a topic of your interest, from another leading, experienced researcher.
In this 90-minute workshop, after a short 15-minute introduction on the concepts and roles of mentors and mentees, we will split up into 45-minute breakout rooms where, in small groups, experienced mentors will discuss and answer questions on the following topics:
- Proposal writing
- Fostering EDI (equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging) environments
- Networking (tricks and tips on how to make and keep contacts in the scientific community)
- How to keep open communication with group members/colleagues
- Mistakes to avoid when starting a position in a new working group
- Conflict resolution/management
- Mental health in the stressful scientific surroundings
- Resource navigation/management
- Pandemic-driven adaptations towards a virtual world
- How to avoid the spam folder when contacting a PI for the first time
- Professional challenges (when the rules of the game suddenly change, i.e. Covid)
- How to prepare for parental leave and minimize the forming gap
- Reviewer and editorial activities
- Other: Please specify in one sentence during registration your additional interests
The workshop will conclude with the main highlight from each discussion group so we all can benefit from the topics we could not attend.
In case of any trouble with the registration, please contact Mina Bizic (email@example.com)
The registration will close on Sunday, June 6th, 2021 at 11:59pm (GMT/UTC, Palma, Spain)
The EC Committee is looking forward to seeing many of you participating in our Interactive Mentoring Workshop – Tips and Tricks to Help You Thrive as an Early Career Researcher (ECR) and contributing to lively discussions in the breakout rooms.