Contests and Challenges…Just For Fun!
Would you like to participate in an amusing activity during the ASLO 2021 virtual meeting while raising money for a marine conservation cause? Then do not miss this opportunity.
We would like to see you in a 10-second FUN video with these three elements: water, goggles/mask and snorkel (See sample video, and another sample video). Share the video through Twitter and/or Instagram using the following hashtag #virtualASLO2021 and please tag @baleariaferry (Balearia is a Spanish leading passenger shipping company co-sponsoring this activity). Please include a title of the video if you have one and also your name. For each video submitted, Balearia (https://www.balearia.com/es/grupo-balearia) will donate 2 euros (for the first 500 videos) to Observadores del Mar (https://www.observadoresdelmar.es/), a citizen science portal to raise awareness on marine biodiversity changes and expand the observations beyond the reach of the scientific community. The three top videos will each win a price consisting of a discount voucher in Melia hotels in Palma for the face-to-face ASM in 2023. You can post your videos from the 22nd to 26th of June at 23:59 UTC. The three top videos will be announced on the meeting webpage on 27th of June.
Leave the shame behind, show the ASLO community how fun you can be and raise money for a good cause…. all in 10 seconds! Please surprise us!
For further queries, please contact: email@example.com
Art & Science Corner
During the ASM 2021 Virtual meeting, we will have a dedicated corner where Art & Science meet! We invite participants to present a topic/concept in aquatic science in the form of an original:
- Picture or scientific illustration (png or jpg, no larger than 3 mb) with caption
- Poetry and short tales (can be submitted as text file, voice message or video, videos not longer than 1.5 min)
- Art performance (videos not longer than 1.5 min)
We will display the submitted material with a link for “like” online voting in the virtual corner. The most voted author/performer of each of the three categories among all the ASM 2021 participants will receive a certificate and a discount voucher each in Melia hotels in Palma for the face-to-face ASM in 2023. Deadline for submission of entrees is on the 16th June at 23:59 UTC. Voting will commence on June 17, and all conference attendees are encouraged to vote for their favorite photo by the 25th of June at 23:59 UTC.
For further queries, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
The ASLO virtual meeting 2021 is organizing a photo contest on the meeting theme Aquatic Sciences for a Sustainable Future: Nurturing Cooperation. The contest is open to all meeting attendees. The authors of the top three most voted photos will each receive a discount voucher in Melia hotels in Palma for the face-to-face ASM in 2023 and the top winning photo will be displayed in the web page of ASM meeting in Palma 2023. Cheer up, take your camera and participate!
Rules in a nutshell:
- Upload your entrees (only one submission per participant) between 9th of June at 00:00 UTC and 16th of June at 23:59 UTC. Voting will commence on June 17, and all conference attendees are encouraged to vote for their favorite photo by the 25th of June at 23:59 UTC. The most voted for photos will be announced on the meeting webpage on 26th of June.
- Photo file requirements: size should not exceed 3MB in jpeg or png format and must include a title, a short description and credits.
For further queries, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Don´t stay behind your screen all the time! Time to move those limbs and stay/get fit. We have selected the ideal running experience for everyone who likes to put on their sneakers and get moving. Join our 5k Palma promenade challenge (See explicatory video) a 5k challenge over flat, smooth terrain, or for the adventurers with some mountains within your reach, join our 5k Vertigo challenge (See explicatory video)! The 5k Palma promenade takes you along the virtual seaside of the Promenade of Palma de Mallorca where you can run, jog or walk the distance. Send us the picture of your (running) watch or app used to clock the distance and tune in on the award session the 27th of June where we will reveal the scores and you can win a discount voucher for Melia hotels in Palma for the face-to-face ASM in 2023. For the Vertigo challenge, the winner will be the person who has managed the most vertical distance in a 5k run (or walk, sprinting up a mountain is hard work). Be warned, it is absolute vertical displacement, no running up and down the stairs. And no time limits, so put those shoes on and get out there! This challenge is a sneak peak of what the Tramuntana mountain range of Mallorca has to offer, with great views you wouldn´t want to miss in 2023. There will be a raffle for a discount voucher as well since it is not all about winning, but participating.
Rules in a nutshell:
- The activity has to be between the 22nd to 26th of June
- To participate you must send a screenshot or picture of your watch or app with time and distance (5k or 3.1 miles) to Iris Hendriks (email@example.com).
- If there are several similar times/distances youwill be asked to send a .gpx file as well to check the voracity of the time and distance. For the vertigo challenge make sure your watch/app lists vertical displacement or directly send a .gpx file. All participants enter the draw for the raffle for another discount voucher for Melia hotels in Palma for the face-to-face ASM in 2023. Results will be published on the website on the 27th of June and prizes will be awarded during the final award session in the afternoon.
- For the Palma promenade challenge: fastest time for 5k wins (Female/male category)
- Vertigo challenge: highest vertical distance in 5k wins (absolute category)
For further queries, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We would like to give our special thanks to Melia hotels and Ona Aparthotels for providing prizes and discounts for our social events. They can be applied at the 2023 meeting in Palma de Mallorca.