University of Georgia Marine Institute, circa 1953
Aerial view of the Georgia Marine Institute, circa 1953, its founding date, when R.J. Reynolds donated the grounds and buildings of his former cattle farm to the University. The Marine Institute has had as its goal for all of its 40-some years of existence the improvement of understanding of functioning of the saltmarsh ecosystem. Photo from old ASLO slide collection; slide and background information provided by S. Newell; scanned by K.L. Schulz.