Free Access Publication
L&O is pleased to offer Free Access Publication to all authors of L&O articles. Your article will be posted permanently in the public-access area of the L&O website, rather than in the subscribers-only section.
What does Free Access Publication do?
- Free Access Publication increases visibility.
- L&O and L&O: Methods articles placed into Free Access Publication in 2004 were downloaded nearly 4X more often than articles placed in the subscriber-only areas of the ASLO website.
- Free Access Publication increases the staying power of articles.
- After two years, Free Access articles have been downloaded an average of >1200 times, while articles in subscriber-only access have been downloaded fewer than 300 times. An article placed into Free Access Publication, on average, will be downloaded more than
1800 times in three years.
- Free Access articles are much more widely read.
- In 2003, 199 of the most-downloaded 200 L&O articles had been placed into Free Access Publication. If you want your work to be a best seller, make it freely available!
- Free Access Publication is convenient.
- Many authors find it very convenient to send electronic reprints via email, and it is even easier if you purchase Free Access Publication; with Free Access, you only need to send the web address (URL) of your paper.
The Free Access Publication service costs US$350. There are no limits on the number of copies of the PDF file that may be distributed or downloaded. Authors will be given the opportunity to subscribe to this service when they receive proofs of their articles. The cost for the service is added to the invoice sent from the ASLO Business Office detailing the publication charges for the article. Of course, authors are welcome to buy both Free Access Publication and traditional hard copy reprints from Allen Press. For authors who wish to place their articles into Free Access retroactively, a US$25 service charge will be added to the invoice if Free Access is purchased after the PDF files for an issue have been posted on the L&O website.