Student Travel Awards
ASLO offers student travel awards to defray costs of attending an ASLO meeting. Students must be ASLO members who will make oral or poster presentations at the ASLO meeting. Previous recipients are not eligible. Recipients are chosen by lottery from the acceptable entries.
Student Poster Awards
Poster awards were initiated by the local organizing committee at the 1988 ASLO meeting in Boulder. It has continued since that time to in order to recognize scientists sufficiently early in their career to have an impact on future research plans and employment opportunities. Entrants must be ASLO members and students, and first author of research that has not been presented previously at ASLO or other scientific meetings. Work in all areas of aquatic science is eligible. The presentation will be judged on the basis of innovation and/or significant scientific insight, quality of experimental design and methods, and clarity of presentation.
Tips on Presenting Posters
- Make it eye-catching
- Make the title informative, even to the non-specialist.
- Include an abstract which is clear, concise, and dynamic.
- The poster should reward the viewer by telling a complete story with a beginning (introduction sufficient to explain it to those not in your specific area of expertise; be sure to avoid jargon) middle (enough on materials and methods so that readers can follow what you have done) and end (main conclusions and relevance).
- Be concise!
- Use large print. The text should be of sufficient size to be easily read from a distance of at least 3-4 feet. Keep your presentation within the area which can be read comfortably while standing.
- Present material in logical order. Because we may all have different opinions as to what is logical, it helps to place or number sections sequentially. When referring to a table or figure, it may be useful to include arrows or some other form of marker to direct the reader.
Past Award Recipients
1988, ASLO, Denver, CO
- Juanita Urban, University of Newfoundland
- Urban, J., C.H. McKenzie and D. Diebel, "Seasonal phytoplankton content of Calanus finmarchicus and Oikopleura vanhoffeni feces and its food web implications"
1992, ASLO, Santa Fe, NM
- Catherine O'Riordan, Stanford University
- O'Riordan, C.S., S.G. Monismith, and J.R. Coseff, "A study of concentration boundary layer formation over a bed of model siphonate bivalves"
- Lisa Uttal-Cooke, University of Hawaii-Manoa
- Uttal-Cooke, L. "Diet and distribution in the midwater worm, Poebius meseres Heath in Monterey Bay, California"
1993 ASLO/SWS Edmonton, AB, Canada
- Lynn A. Leonard, University of South Florida
- Leonard, L.A., M.E. Luther, A.C. Hine and D.J. Reed, "Free surface flow in marsh canopies"
- Brenda M. Miskimmin, University of Alberta, Canada
- Miskimmin, B.M. and D. W. Schindler, D.C. G. Muir and N.B. Grift, "Fate of organochlorine contaminants applied to lakes thirty years ago"
1994 AGU/ASLO Ocean Sciences, San Diego, CA
- Eric L. Canuteson, University of California, San Diego
- Canuteson, E.L., J.A. Hildebrand, P.R. Parker and M.A. Zumberge, "Construction and Testing of an Ocean Bottom Absolute Gravity Meter"
- Michael R. Penn, Michigan Technological University
- Penn, M.R., M.T. Auer and E. Van Orman, "Seasonal and Vertical Variability in the Phosphorus Fractions of the Seston in a Calcareous, Hypereutrophic Lake"
- David Hutchins, (Oral presentation), University of California, Santa Cruz
- Hutchins, D.S., G.R. DiTullio and K.W. Bruland, "Regeneration and recycling of biological iron: The other half of the iron story"
1994 ASLO/PSA Miami, FL
- Jennifer I. Tougas, University of Georgia
- Tougas, J.I. and J.W. Porter, "Scleractinian Coral Settlement to Artificial Substrata in the Florida Keys: Work in Progress"
- Yvonne Vadeboncoeur, University of Notre Dame
- Vadeboncoeur, Y., D.M. Lodge, D.L. Christensen and K.L. Cottingham, "Impact of Whole-Lake Nutrient Enrichment on the Ratio of Benthic to Pelagic Chlorophyll"
1995 ASLO Reno, NE
- Brian H. Yocis, State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry, Syracuse, NY
- Yocis B.H., D.J. Kieber and K. Mopper, "Hydrogen peroxide photochemical production and decay in Antarctic waters"
- Matthew C. Brewer, University of Wisconsin at Madison
- M.C. Brewer and P. Dawidowicz, "Kairomone-enchanced escape behavior within a Daphnia clone"
1996 ASLO/AGU Ocean Sciences, San Diego, CA
- Anna M. Farrenkopf, University of Delaware
- Farrenkopf, A.M., G.W. Luther, III and P. Chapman, "Reduced iodine reflects productivity and denitrification in the Arabian Sea"
- Richard E. Zeebe, Alfred-Wegener Institute, University of Bremen (Germany)
- Zeebe, R.E., H. Eicken, D.H. Robinson, D. Wolf-Gladrow and G.S. Dieckmann, "Modelling the heating and melting of sea ice through light absorption by microalgae"
1996 ASLO Milwaukee, WI
- Jerry C. Liu, State University of New York at Stony Brook
- Liu, J.C., G. Trager and J. Yen. "Effects of copepod morphology on high speed escape reaction: Biomechanical consequences of life stages and interspecific differences"
- Traci M. Main, Arizona State University
- Main, T.M., D.R. Dobberfuhl and J.J. Elser, "Stoichiometry and ontogeny in zooplankton: A test of the growth rate hypothesis"
1997 Santa Fe, NM
- Yu A. Gao, University of Southern California
- Gao, Y., G.J. Smith and R.S. Alberte, "Temperature dependence of nitrate reductase (NR) activity in marine phytoplankton: Ecological implications"
- Christian E. Hamm, Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research., Germany
- Hamm, C.E., M. Reigstad and P. Wassmann, "Chemical tracing of Phaeocystis sedimentation in the Balsfjord, Northern Norway"
- Stacy L. McLeroy-Etheridge, University of Connecticut
- McLeroy, Etheridge, S.L. and G.B. McManus, "Effect of copepod feeding on ingested phytoplankton pigments"
- Olaf G. Olson, Lehigh University
- Olson, O.G. and S.C. Fritz, "Driving changes in periphytic diatom community structure during early lake ontogeny"
- Rolf D. Vinebrook, University of Regina, Canada
- Vinebrook, R.D. and P.R. Leavitt, "The ecological significance of allochthonous DOM in an ultraoligotrophic clearwater lake"
1998 ASLO/AGU Ocean Sciences, San Diego, CA
- John A. Quinlan, University of North Carolina
- Quinlan, J.A., F.E. Werner, S. Gallager, R.G. Lough, J. van Keuren and L.J. Buckley. Modeling the growth of first-feeding cod larvae on Georges Bank.
- Gabriela W. Smalley, University of Maryland
- Smalley, G.W., D.W. Coats and D.K. Stoecker. Influence of prey density, light, and nutrients on feeding behavior of the mixotrophic dinoflagellate Ceratium furca.
1998 ASLO/ESA, St. Louis, MO
- Kevin Fielman, University of Southern Carolina
- Fielman, K.T. Novel nasty neighborhoods: A test of tolerance
- Karleen A. Boyle, University of California - Los Angeles
- Boyle, K.A., K.P. Kramer and P. Fong. A microcosm experiment testing whether nitrogen or phosphorus limits macroalgal blooms in a highly eutrophic southern California estuary.
1999, Santa Fe, NM
- Marnie L. Branfireun, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
- Branfireun, M. L. and T. R. Moore. Decomposition and Methylmercury Availability in a Boreal Wetland.
- Howard Glasgow, North Carolina State University
- Glasgow, H.B., J.M. Burkholder and A.J. Lewitus. Stimulation of Pfiesteria piscicida and a Second Toxic Pfiesteria-Like Species by N and P Enrichments.
- Sarah Griscom, State University of NY
- Griscom, Fisher, Aller. Gut redox conditions and the assimilation of sediment-bound metals in two marine bivalves.
- Susanne Menden-Deuer, University of Washington
- Menden-Deuer, S. and E.J. Lessard. Carbon to Volume Relationships in Heterotrophic and Phototrophic, Thecate and Athecate Dinoflagellates.
- Sunshine Menezes, University of Rhode Island
- S. Menezes and P.E. Hargraves. Community Trends Among Nanoplankton in the Pettaquamscutt River Estuary, Rhode Island, USA.
- Jessica D. Lundquist, University of California, Davis
- Lundquist, J. D. Surface Drag and Momentum Exchange in Hurricane Conditions.
- Pallaoor V. Sundareshwar, University of South Carolina
- Sundareshwar, P. V. and Morris J. T. Differential Nutrient Limitation Among Trophic Groups in a Pristine Salt Marsh Estuary, South Carolina, USA.
2000 ASLO Meeting, Copenhagen, Denmark
- Broglio, Elisabeth F., Inst. de Ciencias del Mar, CSIC, Spain
- Differences in swimming behaviour between two planktonic ciliates affect the risk of predation by the copepod Acartia clausi
- Erhard, Daniela, University of Konstanz, Germany
- Allelopathic interaction of submerged macrophytes with epiphytes: case studies on Elodea Nuttallii and Najas marina
- Hammer, Astrid, University of Rocstok, Germany
- A winter cryptoflagellate bloom in an eutrophic estuary-survival during periods of very low light intensities due to ice covering
- Honeywill, Claire, University of St. Andrews, United Kingdom
- The relationship between mirophytobenthic biomass and pulse modulated minimum fluorescence
- Long, Richard A., University of California
- A quinolinol antibiotic produced by a marine alteromonad and its affects, physiology and metabolism of other marine bacteria
- Petrusek, Adam, Faculty of Natural Sciences, Czech Rep.
- Using allozymes in Moina taxonomy – will we break the species again?
- Ptacnik, Robert, Institut für Meereskunde
- Effects of mixing depth on succession and composition of phytoplankton communities
- Pĺlsson, CARINA, Lund University, Sweden
- Nutrient limitation of autotrophic and potentially mixotrophic phytoplankton in tropical lagoons differing in humic content
- Raateoja, Mika, The Finnish Inst. Of Marine Research, Finland
- Pelagic phytoplankton in situ primary productivity approached by 14C-technique and fast repetition rate fluorometry (FRRF) in the Baltic Sea: a comparison
- Rost, Bjřrn, Alfred Wegener Inst. for Polar and Marine Research, Germany
- Effects of CO2 concentration, growth rate and light conditions on carbon isotope fractionation in the coccoithoporid Emiliania huxley
- Russel, Kristina M.,University of Virginia, USA
- Characterization of particulate atmospheric nitrogen and implications for coastal deposition.
- Scherwass, Anja, University of Cologne, Germany
- Structure and development of the ciliate fauna in the potamoplanton of the river Rhine
- Short, Steven, M., University of British Columbia, Canada
- Algal rivers community structure revealed by denaturing gradient gel electrophoresis
- Strömberg, Niklas, Göteborg University, Sweden
- A pH independent fluorosensor for amonium based on the principles of coextraction
- Sutton, Tracey, University of South Florida
- A towed array for high-resolution plankton studies
- Tönnesson, Kajsa, Göteborg University, Sweden
- Grazing impact of appendicularians versus copepods during an autumn phytoplankton bloom
- Vreca, Polona, Jozef Stefan Institute, Slovenia
- A seasonal carbon isotope study in the sediment and pore waters of an eutrophic high mountain lake in NW Slovenia
- Wanner, Susanne C., Institute of Freshwater Ecology and Inland Fisheries, Canada
- Estimation of the retention efficiency for fine particulate organic matter in a lowland river using fluorescently labelled Lycopodium spores as tracer particles
- Welker, Martin, Tech. Univ. Berlin, Max-Volmer-Inst., Germany
- Temporal dynamic and spatial distribution of toxic cyanobacteria in a shallow lake
- Xu, Yan, Department of Biology, Hong Kong University, China.
- Influence of metal concentration in phytoplankton on metal assimilation and regeneration in marine copepods
- Zah, Rainer, EAWAG/ETH, Switzerland
- Pathways of allochthonous organic matter in a glacial floodplain system
2001 ASLO Aquatic Sciences Meeting, Albuquerque, New Mexico
- Amy G. Brown, University of Southern Mississippi, Stennis Space Center, MS
- Optical Properties And Their Relationship To Physical Processes And Biogeochemical Constituents During Stratified Conditions In Southeastern Lake Michigan
- J.S. Clough, Western Washington University, Anacortes, WA
- Effects Of Heterosigma Akashiwo On Growth And Grazing Rates Of Protozoans
- Elizabeth A. McCliment, University of Delaware, Lewes, DE
- Microbial Biodiversity And Geochemistry In The Hydrothermal Sediments Of The Guaymas Basin
- Adam Petrusek, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic
- Moina Micrura The End Of A "Cosmopolitan Species"?
- Frank Stewart, Desert Research Institute/University of Nevada, Reno, NV
- Bacteria-Algae Associations In The Sea Ice And Upper Water Column Of The Ross Sea In The Late Austral Summer
- Benjamin S. Twining, SUNY, Stony Brook, NY
- A Novel Technique For The Quantification And Localization Of Trace Elements In Plankton: X-Ray Fluorescence Microprobe Analysis
- Marian B. Westley, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, HI
- A Shallow Source Of Nitrous Oxide In The Eastern Tropical North Pacific
- Stephanie E. Wilson, SUNY, Stony Brook, NY
- Predator-Prey Interactions In The Plankton: Escape Responses Of Three Calanoid Copepods From A Juvenile Fish
- Joy C. Winet, The Evergreen State College, Olympia, WA
- The Effect Of Hypoxia On Oxygen Consumption And Survivability Of Aurelia Labiata And Aequorea Victoria In Southern Puget Sound
- Marnie Jo Zirbel, Western Washington University, Anacortes, WA
- Light Enhanced Digestion By Microzooplankton
2002 Summer Meeting, Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
- Garcia, Edenise, Université de Montréal, Montreal, Canada
- Influence of Wildfires on the Nitrogen Isotopic Ratio in Aquatic Organisms
- Humphries, Stefan A., University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Canada
- DOM and Metal Binding: New Techniques For Determining %S, 34s/32s and 180/160 In DOM
- Larmola, Tuula M., University of Joensuu, Joensuu, Finland
- Floods Cause Large Inter-Annual Differences in The Ecosystem Co2 Exchange in Boreal Lake-associated Wetlands
- Milbrandt, Eric C., University of Oregon, Charleston, OR
- Spatial Variability and Community Composition Patterns of Bacteria in South Slough Estuary, OR, USA
- Morier, Dominique, Maurice Lamontagne Inst/Univ du Québec ŕ Rimouski, Mont-Joli, Canada
- Viruses-Induced Mortality of Phytoplankton in The St. Lawrence Estuary: Application of The Dilution Technique
- Shaked, Yeala, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Jerusalem, Israel
- Phytoplankton-Mediated Redox Cycle of Iron in the Epilimnion of Lake Kinneret
- Toledo-Hernández, Carlos, University of Puerto Rico, San Juan, PR
- Regenerative Potential of Gorgonia Spp: A Field Experiment
- Wagner, Glenn N., University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
- Physiological Impact of Salmon Lice on The Swimming Performance Of Atlantic Salmon
- Zhuang, Yan, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ
- Phytoplankton Bioavailability of Copper In Urban Rain