Adopted by the ASLO Board, March 2008
ASLO will strive to:
- improve recruitment and retention at the undergraduate, graduate and early career levels to strengthen the demographics of practitioners of the aquatic sciences; the health, vitality, and longevity of our science depend on promoting scientific vocations recruiting the best people.
- learn what services members want, and shall offer these services at a reasonable cost.
- take action to promote forward-thinking science, thereby foreseeing developing challenges, and ensure the continued relevance of our science to knowledge and society.
- seek to improve communication, cooperation, and exchanges with other relevant scientific and policy-based societies, towards promoting forward-thinking consistent with the ASLO mission statement.
- offer equitable services to all members (independently of geographic location, stage of career development, and disciplinary interest within the aquatic sciences).
- provide science products of the highest quality and made as widely and openly available as possible.
- make Society decisions based on the best knowledge available; acquiring the best knowledge may, from time to time, require the hiring of outside professionals.
- be managed so as to ensure financial stability, building resilience against unforeseen negative financial events by holding the equivalent of one year operational budget in reserve.