An Invitation to Join
New Member Application
Join the long tradition of scholarship in science and guide its accelerating evolution. Scholarly societies that include what were then considered sciences arguably date back to the 1400s. Their prime function was to hold meetings of scholars with common interests. Some regard 1603 and the Italian "Academy of the Lynxes" (of which Galileo was a member) to mark the birth of modern scientific societies. Scientific societies began their publishing function in 1665, with the launch of the Journal des Sçavans and the Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London, to greatly enhance the distribution system of scientific papers from the individually written letters of the past. The web is bringing the next great change in publishing and other functions of the scientific society, as your reading of this page attests. Become an agent of that change!
Benefits of ASLO membership
Contribute to and receive scholarly publications
As a member of ASLO you can contribute to and receive:
- Limnology and Oceanography
- ASLO's flagship journal is thoroughly reviewed and edited to assure readability and durability. This highly cited journal is known for its innovative contributions to the field. Available in print or electronic version.
- Limnology and Oceanography Bulletin
- The L&O Bulletin is free to all members and provides ASLO news, book reviews and timely analyses of current events and issues affecting the aquatic sciences. Available in print and online.
- Limnology and Oceanography e-Books
- Web-based books are a recent addition to ASLO's portfolio of print and electronic publications. "eBooks" first appeared more than 15 years ago, and many thousands of printed books now appear in electronic format as well. The aquatic sciences have enthusiastically embraced electronic journals, but electronic books dealing with limnology and oceanography remain rare. ASLO's intention is to promote the aquatic sciences by embracing the publication of eBooks.
- Limnology and Oceanography e-Lectures
- L&O e-Lectures are prepared by experts on various topics in aquatic sciences. They are peer-reviewed and fully citable (i.e. with ISSN number). L&O e-Lectures are intended as a practical resource for educators and researchers for use at the postsecondary level or for the public at large.
- Limnology and Oceanography: Fluids and Environments
- L&O Fluids and Environments is ASLO's newest journal, which began publishing in 2011 in partnership with Duke University Press. It is free to all ASLO members and provides access to interdisciplinary research focused on the interface of fluid dynamics and biology, chemistry, and/or geology in aquatic systems. This e-journal is published in HTML and PDF formats in color at no extra cost to authors. Each paper includes a non-technical "lay abstract" as well as a "significance to aquatic environments" section in the discussion, which should make the papers accessible to a broad range of readers.
- Limnology and Oceanography: Methods
- Introduced in 2003, this topical e-journal is ideally suited to the strengths of electronic media. Prior to the introduction of L&O Methods, aquatic sciences methods have been scattered over scores of journals. Journal articles are linked forward and backward to related material. Multi-media capability (e.g., film clips) enhances ease of adoption.
- Electronic enhancements to ASLO journals
- All articles of L&O are available on the ASLO website.
- All articles in L&O and L&O:Methods published more than three years ago are freely available on the ASLO website, and fully searchable.
Participate and attend innovative scientific meetings
Network with leaders and peers! ASLO Meetings bring together the aquatic sciences and offer abundant opportunities to meet and interact with your peers. These include:
- Aquatic Sciences Meetings
- Generally held in winter of odd-numbered years, these meetings are designed to integrate the aquatic sciences. They combine limnology and oceanography in novel ways, rapidly bringing innovations from one field to the other and incorporating advances from sister disciplines.
- Ocean Sciences Meeting
- In February of even-numbered years, ASLO joins with the American Geophysical Union (AGU), The Oceanography Society (TOS) and selected other societies, to bring together the many disciplines and research traditions of oceanography and allied marine science and engineering. Coffee breaks and hallways at these meetings are often the launch sites for new, interdisciplinary directions in the ocean sciences.
- ASLO Summer Meetings
- Generally held in June of even-numbered years, the summer meeting brings a gathering that is a counterpoint to Ocean Research Conferences and assures a venue attractive to all aquatic scientists. It is noted for highlighting recent advances and for innovative sessions.
- International Meetings
- ASLO holds meetings every 3 to 5 years outside North America to serve their many members worldwide.
Get connected! Meet leaders and peers in the aquatic sciences
ASLO members have access to:
Job posting services
The ASLO Positions Offered Board is widely read, and was viewed more than 300,000 times last year. In 2012 the average announcement was viewed more than 900 times.
- Employment opportunities
- Position announcements include all levels from undergraduate research and internship opportunities, to professional positions for senior scientists.
Get involved! Join the ASLO Board or Committees and be a leader
ASLO members have many opportunities to participate and receive valuable professional development. Some of these opportunities include:
- Board of Directors
- Nominate others to serve on the Board of Directors.
- Volunteer or be nominated to become a member at large or an officer of ASLO. The ASLO Board includes two student members at all times.
- Volunteer to serve on a Committee
- Publications Committee - Determine the future of scientific publication. The face of publishing is changing faster than it has ever changed before through consolidation of commercial publishers and the transitions to electronic publishing and open access.
- Meetings Committee - Committee members gain and provide a longer view of meetings structure and add features that will make meetings even more valuable.
- Finance Committee - Work with others to ensure ASLO's future financial stability.
- Ethics Committee - Critical in maintaining the rational idealism that makes science an attractive career choice.
- Nominations Committee - Help to choose ASLO's future leaders.
- Awards Committee - Recognize achievements in the aquatic sciences by the distribution of a broad portfolio of awards to aquatic scientists at all career levels.
- Outreach workshops
- Attend workshops at ASLO meetings to make your outreach efforts from K-Gray more effective. ASLO also supports highly successful multicultural programs. Join the expanding opportunities to participate.
- Media outreach
- Attend workshops at ASLO meetings to learn how to write science articles for newspapers and magazines, and how to speak to a public audience.
- Education and Human Resources Committee
- Join the Education and Human Resources Committee to shape ASLO's future outreach and education activities.
- Peer review - Papers submitted to ASLO's journals are individually reviewed by peers. ASLO particularly seeks to engage advanced graduate students and postdocs in the review process.
- Associate editors - Members who have accumulated substantial review experience, have significant opportunity to influence directions of the field by effecting strong quality controls and promoting exciting steps in new directions.
- Proposal-writing workshops
- Attend workshops at ASLO meetings to learn basics of proposal writing: Writing to your audiences, following the rules and benefiting from compliant persistence.
- Book-author workshops
- Attend workshops at ASLO meetings to meet with authors and publishers of science books to find out how to get started on your first book or to improve your next book. Focus on the review materials that most publishers require to approve a book project.
- Town meetings with program managers
- Hear about the latest funding opportunities at evening and lunchtime sessions with program managers at ASLO meetings.
- Other workshops
- Learn the best ways to run or participate in a meeting. Develop your leadership skills. Attend workshops at ASLO meetings.