Research Associate (M.Sc.) Microbiology
Microbiology Research Associate (M.Sc.)
Algenol is seeking to fill a non-temporary Research Associate position in its System Ecology Group located in Ft. Myers, Florida. The position entails conducting research to maximize product yields in commercial operations by limiting potential product loss due to microbial metabolism. Includes the cultivation of microorganisms and routine quality control of algal cultures and growth systems.
Algenol's patented technology enables the production of the four most important fuels (ethanol, gasoline, diesel, and jet fuel) for around $1.27 per gallon each using proprietary algae, sunlight, carbon dioxide, and saltwater at production levels of 8,000 gallons total gallons of liquid fuel per acre per year. Algenol's technology produces high yields and relies on Algenol's patented photobioreactors and proprietary downstream separation techniques for low-cost fuel production. These novel, low-cost techniques have the added benefit of consuming carbon dioxide from industrial sources and not using farmland or food crops.
- Design and conduct scientifically sound experiments to test and validate procedures and methods related to microbial control.
- Develop procedures for quality control and monitoring of cultures and bioreactor systems.
- Coordinate experimental work and implementation across multiple departments and personnel.
- Ensure timely completion of experiments and presentation of results.
- Assist with day-to-day laboratory operations, including maintenance of equipment and ordering laboratory supplies.
Preferred Experience and Qualifications:
- M.Sc. in Microbiology, Biology, Biochemical Engineering, or comparable discipline with a minimum of one year of independent study in industrial or food microbiology or a related discipline is expected. Candidates with a B.Sc. degree with at least three years experience in industrial microbiology or a related discipline will be considered.
- Experience in classic microbiology including culturing methods, media preparation, axenic cultivation, and enrichments.
- Proficient in data analysis and synthesis.
- Ability to problem-solve and work independently but integrate well with small working groups.
- Availability for flexible work hours and weekend (incl. Sunday, holidy) work.
- Persistent positive, can-do attitude in a fast-paced and demanding work environment.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications.
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- Candidates must be currently authorized to work in the U.S.; company will not sponsor new immigration and work permits at this time.
- Experience with microbial control procedures at commercial scales, including disinfection and sanitation of large-scale production facilities.
- Good understanding of microbial physiology and metabolism.
- Knowledge of biofilm formation, composition, and remediation.
- Experience with epifluorescence microscopy, flow cytometry, and related techniques for measuring microbial abundances.
Applicants submit their cover letter; curriculum vitae; and name, address, and email of three references as one PDF document to email@example.com and reference Job Code RASE-01 in the subject line. Applicants indicate their time frame of availability in their cover letter. Review of applications will begin immediately until the position is filled. Only applications meeting the outlined qualifications and providing all requested information will be considered.
Algenol offers a generous compensation package including competitive salary commensurate with experience; performance-based bonus; medical, dental, and life insurance; 401(k) plan; paid vacation time; and childcare benefits. Algenol is an equal opportunity employer. Career Code: