Lab Technician (B.Sc./M.Sc.) Algal Aquaculture
Algenol is a global, industrial biotechnology company that is commercializing its patented algae technology platform for production of ethanol and other biofuels. Algenol's patented technology enables the production of the four most important fuels (ethanol, gasoline, diesel, and jet fuel) for around $1.27 per gallon each using proprietary algae, sunlight, carbon dioxide, and saltwater at production levels of 8,000 total gallons of liquid fuel per acre per year. Algenol's technology produces high yields and relies on Algenol's proprietary photobioreactors and downstream separation techniques for low-cost fuel production. These novel, low-cost techniques have the added benefit of consuming carbon dioxide from industrial sources and not using farmland or food crops.
Algenol is seeking to fill a full-time Lab Technician/Senior Lab Technician position in its Aquaculture department. Aquaculture studies involve developing algal cultivation standards and optimizing photobioreactor operation. Aquaculture personnel conduct research at Algenol's outdoor R&D facility located in Fort Myers, Florida.
- Participation in both indoor and outdoor experiment design and execution.
- Photobioreactor setup and operation.
- Aseptic photobioreactor sampling and routine sample analyses.
- Provide accurate and timely data analysis.
- Support general lab protocols, equipment maintenance, and adhere to lab and outdoor safety policies.
- Ability to report scientific results in both oral and written forums.
- Ability to work closely with principal investigators, project leaders, and other researchers.
- Some experiments requires willingness to work extended hours and on weekends, including Sundays and holidays.
Preferred Experience and Qualifications
- B.Sc. or M.Sc. in Biology, Microbiology, Marine Science, Bioengineering, Environmental Engineering, or comparable discipline.
- Familiar with microorganism cultivation principles, including sterile techniques.
- Familiar and experienced with general lab practices, lab safety rules, and basic scientific equipment and procedures.
- Ability to work independently but also to integrate well in small working groups.
- Well versed in the use of personal computers and Microsoft Office applications.
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- Ability to crouch, stoop, and carry loads up to 50 lbs.
- Knowledge of safe operation of common power and hand tools.
- Creativity and problem solving skills.
- Knowledge of algal/cyanobacteria physiology, physiological ecology, and photobiology.
- Experience operating photobioreactors or other large-scale algal cultivation systems.
- Experience in research conducted in outdoor environments.
- Data analysis and programming using Matlab.
- Knowledge of experiment design principles and statistics.
- Experience working in a fast-paced industrial environment.
The majority of the working day will be outdoors in a hot, humid, subtropical climate. Outdoor experiments are also large, complex, and time-critical. Successful execution requires teamwork and flexibility. Thus, a positive, can-do attitude, general enthusiasm, and the demonstrated ability to work in a team are essential requirements for this position. Application Procedure
Applicants submit their cover letter; curriculum vitae; and name, address, and email of three references as one PDF document to firstname.lastname@example.org
and reference job code LTAQ-14
in the subject line. Applicants should indicate their time frame of availability in their cover letter. Review of applications will begin immediately until the position is filled. Only applications meeting the outlined qualifications and providing all requested information will be considered.
Algenol offers a generous compensation package including competitive salary commensurate with experience; performance-based bonus; medical, dental, and life insurance; 401(k) plan; paid vacation time; and childcare benefits. Algenol is an equal opportunity employer.Career Code