Algal Biofuels Research Associate (B.Sc. or M.Sc.)
Algal Biofuels Research Associate (B.Sc./M.Sc.)
Algenol is seeking to fill one full-time Research Associate
(B.Sc./M.Sc.) position in its Integrated Biorefinery (IBR) Group
to perform duties related to maximizing efficiency in the
production of high quality algal/cyanobacterial cultures and
the inoculation/deployment of photobioreactor systems.
Research associates are responsible for providing high quality
inoculum, acting as experimental leads, developing processes,
authoring SOPs and reports, and general laboratory
maintenance under the direction of the IBR Biology Manager.
1. Design and conduct sound scientific protocols.
2. Participate directly in culture scale-up (including
preparation of media), photobioreactor deployment and
3. Perform sampling duties and in-lab analyses as needed.
4. Provide sound data assessment and result reports
(including maintenance of a laboratory notebook).
5. Work closely with technical personnel
6. Support general facility and equipment maintenance
7. Ability to work flexible hours (nights, weekends and
holidays) as work demands may require.
1. B.Sc. with 3 years experience (M.Sc. may substitute for 2
years experience) in Biology, Microbiology, Marine or Auqatic
Science, Environmental Science, Bioengineering or comparable
2. Experience with algal culture techniques and/or culture
process control is beneficial
3. Knowledge in algal/cyanobacteria ecology, physiology,
aquaculture and/or photobiology.
4. Familiar and experienced with general lab practices, lab
safety rules, and basic scientific equipment for the field.
5. Ability to lift heavy weights and to work extended
periods of time outdoors in a hot and humid climate.
6. Ability to work independently but integrate well with
small working groups and to cope with a fast pace work
7. A positive “can-do” attitude, especially when confronted
with unexpected challenges.
8. Versed with personal computers and Microsoft Office
9. Fluent in written and spoken English.
Preferred Experience and Qualifications:
1. Experience with algal/phytoplankton aquaculture.
2. Demonstrated lab and field experience in aquatic science
or algal work.
3. Working experience with bioreactors, especially at the
pilot/commercial demonstration scale.
4. Experience working in pilot or commercial demonstration
5. Post-graduation work/research experience is beneficial.
Candidates must be eligible to work in the United States and
be available to start the position on or before January 02,
2013. Screening of applications will commence immediately
until position is filled. Algenol Biofuels is an equal opportunity
Candidates submit, in electronic form (MS Word, PDF), their
cover letter; a complete curriculum vitae; and names,
affiliation, nature of relationship, and email of three (3)
professional references to email@example.com and reference
Job Code IBRA-10 in the subject line. Applicants should
indicate their availability in their cover letter. Only applications
meeting the outlined qualifications and providing all
requested information will be reviewed and answered.